Corporate Law (Full Day Program)
November 12, 2014
The Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario ("ILCO") is excited about offering a Full Day Corporate Law Program.
Security, Pledge and Escrow Agreements in the Course of Transactions
Patrick Gervais | Associate, Blaney McMurty LLP
- Reviewing and filing registrations under the Personal Property
- Security Act – How to avoid costly errors
- Dealing with secured parties
- Drafting escrow agreements
- Acting as escrow agent – How to protect yourself
- Releasing documents and funds from escrow
Understanding Tax-Deferred Reorganizations
Mark Tozer | Associate, Brauti Thorning Zibarras LLP
- Selecting a rollover provision
- Documenting the transaction
- Reporting requirements
- Tips and Traps
Just Give Me the Standard Share Preference Terms
Simon Romano | Partner, Stikeman Elliott
- There is no such thing!
- Variety in preference share terms
- Common mistakes
- Spot the errors exercises
Employment Contracts from a Corporate Perspective
Nicholas Saint-Martin | Legal Counsel, Hudson’s Bay Company
- Why do employers use contracts? And what types are there?
- What to consider with contracts when an amalgamation or wind-up
- of a corporation occurs?
- Issues (and remedies) if employment contracts are not considered
- when an amalgamation or wind-up of a corporation occurs?
- As a Law Clerk what “value add” can I bring to my employer/client
- regarding employment contracts?
The Brave New World of Not-For-Profit and Charities Law in Canada
Joyce McGuiney | Blakes, Cassels & Graydon LLP
The October 17th, 2014 deadline for continuance of federal not-for-profit corporations under the new Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act (the “CNCA”) having passed, where do we go from here?
This program will deal with what is happening to those corporations that have not continued under the CNCA by the deadline, how to incorporate and organize not-for-profits under the CNCA, and how to maintain corporations incorporated under the CNCA going forward. In addition, the program will provide some information on what is happening at Charities Directorate, Canada Revenue Agency, in connection with the continuance or failure to continue of federally incorporated registered charities. The program will also update participants on the status of the Not-for-profit Corporations Act, 2010 (Ontario), how it differs from the
CNCA and when proclamation is expected.
From Coast to Coast (OK, mostly East Coast) - Common Issues Faced by Law Clerks When Doing Deals Outside of Ontario
Gina M. Lohnes, LL.B. | Corporate Services Manager (and)
Griffith D. Roberts | Partner, Cox & Palmer
What to look out for when dealing outside of Ontario regarding:
- Due diligence
- Corporate law
- Security registrations